Saturday, March 29, 2008

sorry its been so long!

Sunday March 30th 2008
Hello all
Sorry its been so long since i last posted. I have yet to purchase internet in my apartment and i feel mildly guilty about blogging at work. So i have come to work on a sunday to tie up some loose ends and post some pictures!

I went to the aquarium (Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta still #1) on Easter Monday. The Uni (what they call university here, the word college is used to describe some other form of education, like high school or something) was closed so i took the opportunity to go to Circular Quay (pronounced key) in the city. The Opera House and Harbour (not a misspelling) Bridge was right there at the quay. Fantastic! Unbelievably beautiful up close. Here are a few pics. If you want to spend the money, you can actually climb the bridge and walk across the arch. if you look real close you might even see people on the bridge in the picture! These pictures were taken from the ferry ride from Circular Quay to Darling Harbour, where the aquarium is located. super fun!



Also, i have to post some pics of my apartment. I did not take a picture of the kitchen yet because there are always dishes! but its a kitchen. maybe someday i will post a pic, ahh the suspense!

This is the only window in the apartment. it looks out to the front of the house which is taken over completely by flowering shrubs. fine with me, light and privacy. plus the pretty stained glass windows are well...pretty.

You might be wondering what the room above is. well, its my living room. i have a lawn chair and a tv stand! yes, thats it. and in the doors are all my clothes. so, i guess its like my closet...only they are all folded and on shelves because i dont have a real closet or a dresser. I dont have a real couch yet either. i am looking for a futon, because then its a couch and a bed. thats all i need for all of you when you come visit!!

you might also notice my fantastic artwork above the mini closet doors. instead of having to buy frames and nails and a hammer and whatever i saved the cardboard inserts from when i purchased my bedding. i covered the cardboard with wrapping paper i found at Target (dont get too excited the Target here isnt nearly as wonderful as the Target in the US) and then taped the pictures to the wrapping paper. I poked holes in the corners, put ribbon through it and hung it from an existing nail in the wall. all together, 6$ spent. I have another photo display in the kitchen and plenty of wrapping paper, ribbon and cardboard for more!

friday night i went out with a coworker to his friends house. it was like a little segregated gathering. girls over here, boys over there. Believe it or not it was one of the warmest welcomes from a group of girls i have ever experienced. most of the time girls are mean because they think your intruding on their territory. these girls were great! i felt very comfortable. we chatted about accents, and the US, and the AU government (really, on a friday night!) but it was nice to get out of my apartment and see other people. other people that arent scientists.

saturday night i went to the city to meet a girl i met at the womans meeting, Erin. We walked through the botanical gardens, went to The Rocks, Pitt St Mall, Paddington Market, Oxford St, tons of places. we made a whole afternoon out of it. it was really great fun and shes a fun girl. i am happy to know i have at least one friend! we might get together again this upcoming weekend.

I will leave you with the Wollemi Pine. It was thought to be extinct until they found one...so it wasnt! Keiths mom told me to find one and take a pic. I didnt even know they existed until she told me about it. (its the tall tree in the middle of the pic) This ones for you Mom Sharon!


xo - Sharon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you've blogged. I was missing it. But smart me realized you hadn't gotten internet in your cute little apt yet. I want to see the bath and kitchen!! Way to go wool-y Tree(or whatever it is.) miss you xox

Anonymous said...

Sharon!

Glad to see you are adjusted (even getting in proper Aussie spelling I see) and doing well. Hope work isn't too strenuous and that you do get opportunities to enjoy Australia. Your apartment is totally too cute and I've been loving the photos. Take care and keep up the great blogging!!

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sharon! I finally got a chance to check out your blog again. I love the pictures you have been posting. Sounds like things are going good there for you. Hope work is going well for you. Cant wait til your next blog. Take care and we miss you!! Luv Ya
xoxo
Amy