Monday, March 10, 2008

There ARE dumb people!

Monday March 10 815pm
Normally i would begin a post with the beginning of my day however i just stepped in from outside from an encounter with some "locals". There were 6 of them and they were sitting listening to music at the picnic table in the courtyard. I was engaged in a meaningless conversation with a girl from Louisiana (the first American i have met here) and one of the locals who were her friends over heard us and proceeded to ask me why i hate men. What? I wanted to be like, are you dumb? Youre dumb arent you? Apparently he thought he could confront me on NOTHING just to seem cool. I felt amazingly uncomfortable being around dumb people and said bye and left. Hope those kids grow up someday. dummies.

anywho. I might have an apartment!! I only visited one on saturday and it was interetsing. There is no fridge because that constitutes furnished. I have no furniture and frankly dont care as long as i have a place to live. There is also an interesting "skylight" in the kitchen. its sort of a green and clear plastic roof thing. the sun shines through and there really is a green tint to everything. i have to go get money tomorrow and sign paperwork. wish me luck!! before i received the good news i was calling and calling and calling places for rent. They were all either taken or applications pending. the housing crunch here is evident, so i am going to take what i can get.

i then went for another walk and found a mall-ish like thing! horray! the clothes were kindof expensive and not very good quality, but i did try some on. then i found a store that reminds me of Stars. Does anyone remember Stars? Theyve got clothes, towels, sheets and pillows for pretty inexpensive. Good thing i found that because i am going to need some soon!! i also found a store that reminds me of Big Lots. i bought a roll of tape, a stapler and scissors.

then the highlight of my trip. silverware!! i bought a higher quality knife, fork and spoon from a store called Cucina which reminds me of pier 1. only this store is 1/10 the size and has a little cafe/bakery in it. my new silverware are super simple, but i like the heft and the way they balance in your hand. there are pieces i can add of course, like a cheese peeler and dessert spoon.


One thing that catches me off guard is the unit difference. I went to the grocery store to get some fruit and juice. I bought a peach at 4.79 per kg. all the fruits and veggies are around 5$ per kg. well, i stand stunned at the price for a moment and go oooohhhh, 1 kg = 2.2 lbs so its about the same. My peach was 79 cents. phew! also 1 km = 0.6 miles. sooo my new apartment is only 1.2 miles away from school. horray!!

xo S*

4 comments:

Unknown said...

A girl from Australia whose LJ I read was recently complaining about the horrible outdated, bad quality clothing generally found there, even in the major cities, though it's worse where she's from (Brisbane). So beware and keep those khakis!

Unknown said...

A girl from Australia whose LJ I read was recently complaining about the horrible outdated, bad quality clothing generally found there, even in the major cities, though it's worse where she's from (Brisbane). So beware and keep those khakis!

Anonymous said...

well, just keep in mind, there are dumb people EVERYWHERE. unfortunately. I'm glad you're finding good shopping, thats key to feeling comfortable. (We could NOT find a grocery store in seville for a day or two and it made us feel terribly unhinged -- and quite hungry!)I hope you get the apartment you want! Email me an address when you finally have one! xoooo

Anonymous said...

Hey Sharon,

Just catching up on your blog and hope you are doing well. This is such an exciting chapter in your life so enjoy it. miss you to pieces. xoxo

Jill